Skip to main content

End of year meme



I can’t believe it’s the end of 2011! I think I always breathe a sigh of relief once Christmas is over. Last weekend in observation of Christmas we had a 3-day weekend, and this week in observation of the New Year, we had another 3-day weekend, so it’s been nice to have a bit of a break, even if I couldn’t take a full vacation this week as I was originally planning. I’ve been busy with stuff at work and school, and it feels good to finish the year off strong. I stole this from Verity at Cardigangirlverity!

1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
Moved in to my new apartment in January! Started working on my Master’s degree in biomedical writing.

2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don’t typically make (or keep) New Year’s resolutions, but this year I think I’d like to keep up an effort to clean house more often. Literally clean house, I’m often very lazy about that kind of thing! I’d also like to be more social and reach out to people more, especially at work.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
No.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No.

5. What countries did you visit?
England!!!

6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?A boyfriend might be nice!

7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Nothing stands out.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Being accepted into grad school, finishing this semester with a B+! Initiating a major project at work.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Communication, in particular failing to communicate with someone about how I truly felt until it was too late.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
No.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
I would say my condo, but since it was officially a 2010 purchase, it doesn’t really count (but I moved in in 2011).

12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?

13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?

14. Where did most of your money go?
Mortgage, vacation in September.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
My trip to London and York with my sister in September!

16. What song will always remind you of 2011?

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?

About the same!
b) thinner or fatter?
About the same!
c) richer or poorer?

Poorer due to mortgage and vacation.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Communicate, socialize more, read more (93 books completed this year in comparison to 140-plus in previous years), worry less and obsess less about things I can't control.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Watch TV.

20. How did you spend Christmas?
At my parent’s house in the Philly suburbs, with family. Christmas Eve church and dinner at a friend’s house, Christmas Day opening presents and having roast beef and Yorkshire pudding.

21. Did you fall in love in 2011?
Twice, unfortunately. Still single!

22. How many one-night stands?
None.

23. What was your favourite TV program?
Went to the UK and got hooked on a show called Don’t Tell the Bride. Also fell in love with Downton Abbey.

24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Don’t hate anyone!

25. What was the best book you read?
Any of the Persephones or Virago Modern Classics I read this year. Also re-read a few favorites, including Jane Eyre and Anne of Green Gables.

26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I re-discovered the Corrs, a group I loved when I was a teenager.

27. What did you want and get?
Rainboots for Christmas (I swear, sometimes I think I’m secretly 5 years old!).

28. What did you want and not get?
Nothing.

29. What was your favourite film of this year?
Jane Eyre.

30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
In September I was 28 and I spent it at work, then had dinner with my parents.

31.What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
It was mostly satisfying, except in the area of my love life.

32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
Generally speaking, on any given day I wear something that’s black. Around this time of year I’m into wearing lots of skirts and dresses, paired with a chunky sweater, tights, and my favorite boots. I’m also kind of obsessed with this new pair of Mary Jane heels that I’ve been planning outfits around!
33. What kept you sane?
Family.

34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Don’t like politics and try not to take sides.

35. Whom did you miss?
My best friend from high school.

36. Who was the best new person you met?
Didn’t really meet many new people…

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011:
It sounds cheesy, but I learned that you should always take advantage of every opportunity you get. And I learned to speak up more.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:

39. So in as few words as possible, how would you sum up your year?
Pretty satisfying!

Comments

Aarti said…
Oh, your response to number nine made me sad. I hope that 2012 is less bittersweet for you- maybe you can meet a sexy grad student :-)
verity said…
It's fun to see your responses too and I'm tickled that you got hooked on don't tell the bride - it was required viewing in the run up to my wedding and I still watch it -y husband will even tolerate it too. You've reminded me that I must rent a copy of Jane Eyre as I missed it at the cinema

Popular posts from this blog

Another giveaway

This time, the publicist at WW Norton sent me two copies of The Glass of Time , by Michael Cox--so I'm giving away the second copy. Cox is the author of The Meaning of Night, and this book is the follow-up to that. Leave a comment here to enter to win it! The deadline is next Sunday, 10/5/08.

A giveaway winner, and another giveaway

The winner of the Girl in a Blue Dress contest is... Anna, of Diary of An Eccentric ! My new contest is for a copy of The Shape of Mercy , by Susan Meissner. According to Publisher's Weekly : Meissner's newest novel is potentially life-changing, the kind of inspirational fiction that prompts readers to call up old friends, lost loves or fallen-away family members to tell them that all is forgiven and that life is too short for holding grudges. Achingly romantic, the novel features the legacy of Mercy Hayworth—a young woman convicted during the Salem witch trials—whose words reach out from the past to forever transform the lives of two present-day women. These book lovers—Abigail Boyles, elderly, bitter and frail, and Lauren Lars Durough, wealthy, earnest and young—become unlikely friends, drawn together over the untimely death of Mercy, whose precious diary is all that remains of her too short life. And what a diary! Mercy's words not only beguile but help Abigail and Lars

Six Degrees of Barbara Pym's Novels

This year seems to be The Year of Barbara Pym; I know some of you out there are involved in some kind of a readalong in honor of the 100th year of her birth. I’ve read most of her canon, with only The Sweet Dove Died, Civil to Strangers, An Academic Question, and Crampton Hodnet left to go (sadly). Barbara Pym’s novels feature very similar casts of characters: spinsters, clergymen, retirees, clerks, and anthropologists, with which she had direct experience. So it stands to reason that there would be overlaps in characters between the novels. You can trace that though the publication history of her books and therefore see how Pym onionizes her stories and characters. She adds layers onto layers, adding more details as her books progress. Some Tame Gazelle (1950): Archdeacon Hoccleve makes his first appearance. Excellent Women (1952): Archdeacon Hoccleve gives a sermon that is almost incomprehensible to Mildred Lathbury; Everard Bone understands it, however, and laughs