Skip to main content

The Sunday Salon

In some ways, I always feel sad about Sundays. I always feel as though something good has come to an end! It’s been a busy couple of weeks here, with a good friend from college coming to visit last weekend, up from Virginia. We explored some parts of Philly, including the Independence Seaport Museum at Penn’s Landing (which is literally a stone’s throw away from my apartment). The best parts of the museum are the cruiser Olympia and the submarine Becuna. The museum is one of the lesser-known attractions of Philadelphia, but I thought it was pretty interesting (and I’m not really into maritime history!). Sadly, my friend had a personal emergency and had to go back home, but it was good to play catch-up again after four years of not seeing each other.

This weekend has been pretty much one long veg-out session; I’ve been watching a marathon on DVD of Downton Abbey, an Upstairs Downstairs-esque Masterpiece Theatre series about one family and its servants in a large country estate in 1912 (it opens with the sinking of the Titanic, on which the heir to the estate has perished). Like Upstairs Downstairs, it’s a lot like a soap opera, but absolutely riveting. Maggie Smith plays a dowager countess with a very sharp tongue.

Recently I’ve been obsessing over something I can’t control, and so the best thing for me in those moments is to throw myself into work, which is what I have been doing. It’s worked for the most part, but as soon as I’m not busy, I start obsessing again! I don’t talk much about my personal or work life here, but certain things have been slightly difficult for me recently, and I’ve been searching for things to take my mind off all that. What hasn’t helped is that I recently finished reading a novel called Alas, Poor Lady (Rachel Ferguson), the desperately sad story of a late-Victorian spinster and what happens to her—not the best reading choice in my current mood! But I think re-reading an old favorite has compensated for it.

Yesterday I began re-reading Jane Eyre; the last time I did so was at least in high school! I keep forgetting how good it is! My mom and I are planning on going to see the new film adaptation at the Ritz tomorrow night, so I thought a re-read was very much in order. It’s amazing how a book like that is still highly readable, 170 years after it was published. And, I think, deep down every woman dreams of having that ‘Reader, I married him” moment herself!

I went to Borders during my lunch break on Thursday to use up the rest of a gift card, and bought the movie tie-in version of Jane Eyre (one can never own too many copies! In my 650-square-foot apartment alone there are six. Obsessed, much?). I normally despise movie tie-ins with a passion unrivaled, but I actually like the cover of this one. While I was at Borders, I was saddened by all the “everything must go” signs behind the counter…

Comments

Hope Jane Eyre works out as planned. Sad little story, I thought.

Here's my Sunday Salon post for this week. I hope you will stop by and
say hello.
Meghan said…
I recently just reread Jane Eyre for the first time since high school and loved it just as much, if not more. I hope it works for you!

Meghan @ Medieval Bookworm
Anonymous said…
I am reading Jane Eyre for the first time, actually listening to it on audio. I am really enjoying it. I did not know that a new movie version was coming in theaters until after I began reading. Look forward to seeing the movie after I finish! Let us know how the movie is!
Karen K. said…
I'm listening to JE on audio in anticipation of the movie and it is just as good even though I've read it before (it has been years but the story is so vivid, I've hardly forgotten any of the details.) We won't get it until this Friday here in Texas but I think I'll wait and to see it next weekend to tie in with Readathon!

I myself have only two copies of JE but I think I now have FOUR copies of Pride & Prejudice, but one was a mistake. Long story.
Biffy said…
I totally sympathize with obsessing over something over which you have no control. Hope everything is getting better for you. Just want you to know that I love your blog. Your reviews are excellent and well thought out and I appreciate all you share!

Popular posts from this blog

Another giveaway

This time, the publicist at WW Norton sent me two copies of The Glass of Time , by Michael Cox--so I'm giving away the second copy. Cox is the author of The Meaning of Night, and this book is the follow-up to that. Leave a comment here to enter to win it! The deadline is next Sunday, 10/5/08.

A giveaway winner, and another giveaway

The winner of the Girl in a Blue Dress contest is... Anna, of Diary of An Eccentric ! My new contest is for a copy of The Shape of Mercy , by Susan Meissner. According to Publisher's Weekly : Meissner's newest novel is potentially life-changing, the kind of inspirational fiction that prompts readers to call up old friends, lost loves or fallen-away family members to tell them that all is forgiven and that life is too short for holding grudges. Achingly romantic, the novel features the legacy of Mercy Hayworth—a young woman convicted during the Salem witch trials—whose words reach out from the past to forever transform the lives of two present-day women. These book lovers—Abigail Boyles, elderly, bitter and frail, and Lauren Lars Durough, wealthy, earnest and young—become unlikely friends, drawn together over the untimely death of Mercy, whose precious diary is all that remains of her too short life. And what a diary! Mercy's words not only beguile but help Abigail and Lars

Six Degrees of Barbara Pym's Novels

This year seems to be The Year of Barbara Pym; I know some of you out there are involved in some kind of a readalong in honor of the 100th year of her birth. I’ve read most of her canon, with only The Sweet Dove Died, Civil to Strangers, An Academic Question, and Crampton Hodnet left to go (sadly). Barbara Pym’s novels feature very similar casts of characters: spinsters, clergymen, retirees, clerks, and anthropologists, with which she had direct experience. So it stands to reason that there would be overlaps in characters between the novels. You can trace that though the publication history of her books and therefore see how Pym onionizes her stories and characters. She adds layers onto layers, adding more details as her books progress. Some Tame Gazelle (1950): Archdeacon Hoccleve makes his first appearance. Excellent Women (1952): Archdeacon Hoccleve gives a sermon that is almost incomprehensible to Mildred Lathbury; Everard Bone understands it, however, and laughs