Skip to main content

Booking Through Thursday


1. Favorite childhood book? Too many to count! I loved reading the Nancy Drew books growing up, as well as the Babysitters Cub books (I was really into series books when I was younger)

2. What are you reading right now?
 The Edwardians, by Vita Sackville-West.

3. What books do you have on request at the library?

4. Bad book habit?
 buying too many of them…

5. What do you currently have checked out at the library? Not checked out but on hold and ready for pickup is The Pindar Diamond, by Katie Hickman

6. Do you have an e-reader?
 No, I like the physical feel of a book in my hands.

7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?
 Usually just one, though I’ll read multiple books at a time of one just doesn’t grab me the way it should.

8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?
 I’ve become a lot more critical about what I read… sometimes for the good, sometimes for the bad.

9. Least favorite book you read this year (so far?)
 The Sixth Surrender, by Hana Samek Norton (I actually had to look that up to remember the title!)

10. Favorite book you’ve read this year?
 I Capture the Castle, by Dodie Smith… or Mrs Tim of the Regiment, but DE Stevenson… or Henrietta’s War, by Joyce Dennys. Tough call on this one.

11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone?
 More so recently than before…

12. What is your reading comfort zone?
 Interwar British fiction or historical fiction.

13. Can you read on the bus?
 yes.

14. Favorite place to read?
 On the couch, or lying in bed.

15. What is your policy on book lending?
 I generally don’t do it because I never get the books back! Or they don’t come back in the condition I lent them out in…

16. Do you ever dog-ear books? No.

17. Do you ever write in the margins of your books?
 Not since high school, when my teachers made us do it.

18. Not even with text books?
 no.

19. What is your favorite language to read in?
 English.

20. What makes you love a book?
 Good characters and plot, a writing style that engages me.

21. What will inspire you to recommend a book?
 If it’s one of my all-time favorites, I’ll recommend it.

22. Favorite genre?
 See question 12.

23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did?)
 Contemporary fiction.

24. Favorite biography?
 Sin in the Second City, which is actually a biography of two people: the sisters who ran a notorious brothel in Chicago in the late 19th century.

25. Have you ever read a self-help book?
 Yes.

26. Favorite cookbook?
 Cooking? Me?

27. Most inspirational book you’ve read this year (fiction or non-fiction)?

28. Favorite reading snack? Goldfish crackers (diet-wise, I’m about five years old)

29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience.

30. How often do you agree with critics about a book?
 I agree with PW usually, but others not so often.

31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews? Not bad at all… I’m just being honest.

32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you chose?
 Italian

33. Most intimidating book you’ve ever read?
 I’m not intimidated by books.

34. Most intimidating book you’re too nervous to begin?
 Again, I’ve thankfully never been intimidated by any book I’ve come across.

35. Favorite Poet?
 Allen Ginsburg

36. How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time?
 Not more than a few, and none at all lately; I’m trying to cut down on the number of unread books I own (yeah, how’s that working out for me? Snicker).

37. How often have you returned book to the library unread?
 every now and then I do.

38. Favorite fictional character?
 This is a tough one…

39. Favorite fictional villain?

40. Books I’m most likely to bring on vacation?
 Anything by Mary Stewart, Elizabeth Chadwick.

41. The longest I’ve gone without reading.
 A day or two.

42. Name a book that you could/would not finish.
 I just tried to finish read Diana of the Crossways, and I made it ¾ of the way through but lost interest. Too bad considering it’s based on a really, really interesting woman…

43. What distracts you easily when you’re reading?
 Television.

44. Favorite film adaptation of a novel?
 84, Charing Cross Road or The Painted Veil.

45. Most disappointing film adaptation?

46. The most money I’ve ever spent in the bookstore at one time?
 A few hundred dollars.

47. How often do you skim a book before reading it?
 Never.

48. What would cause you to stop reading a book half-way through?
 Uninteresting plot and characters.

49. Do you like to keep your books organized?
 They’re sort of organized; all the books I acquired while I was living in New york are alphabetized; and then all my Persephones and Viragos are together. All the unread books are on one bookshelf and alphabetized as well, but everything else is a jumbled mess. But it's amazing how I can find everything anyways....

50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you’ve read them?
 I tend to keep books unless they were truly awful.

51. Are there any books you’ve been avoiding?
 No.

52. Name a book that made you angry.

53. A book you didn’t expect to like but did?
 I Capture the Castle.

54. A book that you expected to like but didn’t?
 The Ante-Room, by Kate O’Brien

55. Favorite guilt-free, pleasure reading?
 historical fiction.

Comments

Lori said…
I love historical Romance also. I reluctanly answered the questions. My answers are short and to the point. I like it when we are asked on topic and we can discuss it in depth, this was nothing more than a survey. Anyhoo, Here is my Booking Through Thursday

Popular posts from this blog

Another giveaway

This time, the publicist at WW Norton sent me two copies of The Glass of Time , by Michael Cox--so I'm giving away the second copy. Cox is the author of The Meaning of Night, and this book is the follow-up to that. Leave a comment here to enter to win it! The deadline is next Sunday, 10/5/08.

A giveaway winner, and another giveaway

The winner of the Girl in a Blue Dress contest is... Anna, of Diary of An Eccentric ! My new contest is for a copy of The Shape of Mercy , by Susan Meissner. According to Publisher's Weekly : Meissner's newest novel is potentially life-changing, the kind of inspirational fiction that prompts readers to call up old friends, lost loves or fallen-away family members to tell them that all is forgiven and that life is too short for holding grudges. Achingly romantic, the novel features the legacy of Mercy Hayworth—a young woman convicted during the Salem witch trials—whose words reach out from the past to forever transform the lives of two present-day women. These book lovers—Abigail Boyles, elderly, bitter and frail, and Lauren Lars Durough, wealthy, earnest and young—become unlikely friends, drawn together over the untimely death of Mercy, whose precious diary is all that remains of her too short life. And what a diary! Mercy's words not only beguile but help Abigail and Lars

Six Degrees of Barbara Pym's Novels

This year seems to be The Year of Barbara Pym; I know some of you out there are involved in some kind of a readalong in honor of the 100th year of her birth. I’ve read most of her canon, with only The Sweet Dove Died, Civil to Strangers, An Academic Question, and Crampton Hodnet left to go (sadly). Barbara Pym’s novels feature very similar casts of characters: spinsters, clergymen, retirees, clerks, and anthropologists, with which she had direct experience. So it stands to reason that there would be overlaps in characters between the novels. You can trace that though the publication history of her books and therefore see how Pym onionizes her stories and characters. She adds layers onto layers, adding more details as her books progress. Some Tame Gazelle (1950): Archdeacon Hoccleve makes his first appearance. Excellent Women (1952): Archdeacon Hoccleve gives a sermon that is almost incomprehensible to Mildred Lathbury; Everard Bone understands it, however, and laughs