Skip to main content

Booking Through Thursday... on Wednesday


“What tomes are waiting patiently on your shelves?“

I've actually been quite good about keeping my book-buying and ARC-requesting to a minimum, so this list is (relatively) short. The books are:

Evelina, by Fanny Burney. This book has been on my shelf for months.

The Slaves of Solitude, by Patrick Hamilton, author of Hangover Square.

An ARC of The Fire, by Katherine Neville. I haven't read The Eight yet, and I've heard mixed reviews about this one, so I'm a little hesitant about reading it now.

A slightly-battered first edition copy of Rebecca West's The Birds Fall Down that I picked up at a used bookstore for $5.

A biography of Queen Isabella (wife of Edward II), by Alison Weir, that I picked up today.

The Shape of Mercy, by Susan Meissner.

All This, and Heaven Too, by Rachel Field. If you haven't heard of this book, you may have read a children's book by Field called Hitty, Her First Hundred Years.

I got about 50 pages in to The Conqueror, by Georgette Heyer, before stopping. I may not have been in the mood for the book at that moment, so I may attempt it again later.

An Inconvenient Wife, by Megan Chance, also the author of The Spiritualist.

The Dress Lodger, by Sheri Holman.

The Greatest Knight, by Elizabeth Chadwick.

Nine Coaches Waiting, by Mary Stewart.

Comments

Lezlie said…
Th Conqueror takes a little while to get going. Definitely give it another shot later. The best part of the story is actually not about William, but his best man.

Lezlie
Robin M said…
I used to read Mary Stewart all the time when much younger. Nine Coaches Waiting sounds good, familiar too. Interesting collection of books waiting to be read.

Robin of mytwoblessings

PS. I posted early too - its up now.
Anonymous said…
Ah...your post reminds me of Evelina, which Danielle recommends to me. Gorgette Hayer is another author I'll like to read.

By the way, I finished The Birds Fall Down, which I found after a whole year's hunt! You'll have to be in the right mood for it. It's well-written but the long conversation puts the book on slow wheels.
Cathy said…
The Dress Lodger is very good. I not only have read Hitty, I still have the book in my library. I've owned it since I was five.
SmilingSally said…
I didn't add in my ARCs.
Shana said…
Hmmmm. I had The Dress Lodger for such a long time but never could bring myself to read it. I just thought it would creep me out. I finally donated it to Goodwill. Everyone says it's very good.

Shana
Literarily
Apart from the West book, I have not heard of the others!

http://readingandmorereading.blogspot.com/2008/10/booking-through-tomes.html
I just recently learned of Georgette Heyer, I have a re-issue of The Reluctant Widow on the way to my TBR.
Anonymous said…
I really liked the The Dress Lodger.
That's all? Really? About half the books on my shelf still need to be read.
Ti said…
The Dress Lodger was on my radar for quite some time but at some point I forgot about it. Great list!

Popular posts from this blog

Another giveaway

This time, the publicist at WW Norton sent me two copies of The Glass of Time , by Michael Cox--so I'm giving away the second copy. Cox is the author of The Meaning of Night, and this book is the follow-up to that. Leave a comment here to enter to win it! The deadline is next Sunday, 10/5/08.

A giveaway winner, and another giveaway

The winner of the Girl in a Blue Dress contest is... Anna, of Diary of An Eccentric ! My new contest is for a copy of The Shape of Mercy , by Susan Meissner. According to Publisher's Weekly : Meissner's newest novel is potentially life-changing, the kind of inspirational fiction that prompts readers to call up old friends, lost loves or fallen-away family members to tell them that all is forgiven and that life is too short for holding grudges. Achingly romantic, the novel features the legacy of Mercy Hayworth—a young woman convicted during the Salem witch trials—whose words reach out from the past to forever transform the lives of two present-day women. These book lovers—Abigail Boyles, elderly, bitter and frail, and Lauren Lars Durough, wealthy, earnest and young—become unlikely friends, drawn together over the untimely death of Mercy, whose precious diary is all that remains of her too short life. And what a diary! Mercy's words not only beguile but help Abigail and Lars

Six Degrees of Barbara Pym's Novels

This year seems to be The Year of Barbara Pym; I know some of you out there are involved in some kind of a readalong in honor of the 100th year of her birth. I’ve read most of her canon, with only The Sweet Dove Died, Civil to Strangers, An Academic Question, and Crampton Hodnet left to go (sadly). Barbara Pym’s novels feature very similar casts of characters: spinsters, clergymen, retirees, clerks, and anthropologists, with which she had direct experience. So it stands to reason that there would be overlaps in characters between the novels. You can trace that though the publication history of her books and therefore see how Pym onionizes her stories and characters. She adds layers onto layers, adding more details as her books progress. Some Tame Gazelle (1950): Archdeacon Hoccleve makes his first appearance. Excellent Women (1952): Archdeacon Hoccleve gives a sermon that is almost incomprehensible to Mildred Lathbury; Everard Bone understands it, however, and laughs