Skip to main content

Review: The Tea Rose, by Jennifer Donnelly

I really did want to like this book, because I normally like historical fiction situated in the Victorian era.

The Tea Rose, altough well-written and extremely descriptive, didn't completely do it for me. For one thing, many of the things that occur in the story forced me to suspend my disbelief. Many of the events situations, and even people seemed contrived. It seemed unrealistic for working-class people to rise so fast in society, and for women to behave the way that Fiona did in this novel. It felt as though Donnely wrote about twenty first-century characters and then just placed them into a nineteenth century setting. Also, the villain in this piece seemed to be a caricature. I'm of the school that believes that historical fiction can deviate from events that actually took place, but that you have to make it seem realistic.

Another thing I didn't like were the jumps back and forth between two places--New York and London. I also didn't like how several people's stories never really ended--what happened to Seamie, for example? (we do find out in the next book, but it won't be published until next year; I only know because I've been reading an ARC of The Winter Rose).

I also recommend The Crimson Petal and the White, by Michel Faber.

Also reviewed by: Tiny Little Reading Room, Jackets and Covers

Comments

Marg said…
I liked The Tea Rose but there were a few too many coincidences. I loved The winter Rose though, and I will definitely be reading the third book in the trilogy when it comes out.
Anonymous said…
I loved THE WINTER ROSE and have this book in my TBR pile.
Anonymous said…
Is sounds disappointing. Do you think you'll go on to read the other books in the triology or give it up?
Katherine said…
I actually read the second book in the trilogy a while ago.

And there's a THIRD book coming ou? Goodness.

Popular posts from this blog

Another giveaway

This time, the publicist at WW Norton sent me two copies of The Glass of Time , by Michael Cox--so I'm giving away the second copy. Cox is the author of The Meaning of Night, and this book is the follow-up to that. Leave a comment here to enter to win it! The deadline is next Sunday, 10/5/08.

A giveaway winner, and another giveaway

The winner of the Girl in a Blue Dress contest is... Anna, of Diary of An Eccentric ! My new contest is for a copy of The Shape of Mercy , by Susan Meissner. According to Publisher's Weekly : Meissner's newest novel is potentially life-changing, the kind of inspirational fiction that prompts readers to call up old friends, lost loves or fallen-away family members to tell them that all is forgiven and that life is too short for holding grudges. Achingly romantic, the novel features the legacy of Mercy Hayworth—a young woman convicted during the Salem witch trials—whose words reach out from the past to forever transform the lives of two present-day women. These book lovers—Abigail Boyles, elderly, bitter and frail, and Lauren Lars Durough, wealthy, earnest and young—become unlikely friends, drawn together over the untimely death of Mercy, whose precious diary is all that remains of her too short life. And what a diary! Mercy's words not only beguile but help Abigail and Lars

Six Degrees of Barbara Pym's Novels

This year seems to be The Year of Barbara Pym; I know some of you out there are involved in some kind of a readalong in honor of the 100th year of her birth. I’ve read most of her canon, with only The Sweet Dove Died, Civil to Strangers, An Academic Question, and Crampton Hodnet left to go (sadly). Barbara Pym’s novels feature very similar casts of characters: spinsters, clergymen, retirees, clerks, and anthropologists, with which she had direct experience. So it stands to reason that there would be overlaps in characters between the novels. You can trace that though the publication history of her books and therefore see how Pym onionizes her stories and characters. She adds layers onto layers, adding more details as her books progress. Some Tame Gazelle (1950): Archdeacon Hoccleve makes his first appearance. Excellent Women (1952): Archdeacon Hoccleve gives a sermon that is almost incomprehensible to Mildred Lathbury; Everard Bone understands it, however, and laughs